Ward You’re Running In: 3
Current Occupation: Musician / Teacher / Administrator
Voter Information: 352-7865
I was raised and educated in Ward 3 where I still reside and work today. I attended Connaught School, Sheldon Williams High School and the University of Saskatchewan, Regina Campus. In addition to being a very active musician and music educator, I am the President Emeritus of the Regina Musicians Association and I am a past member of the Board of Directors of the Regina Exhibition Association, serving on the Audit and Finance Committee.
QUESTION AND ANSWER
1. Briefly, why are you running for council/mayor?
I believe that I can make competent, conscientious decisions which will serve as significant, beneficial contributions to the social, economic, cultural and recreational progress of our city.
2. What is the single most pressing issue facing Regina? How would you solve it?
We must achieve a more equitable revenue sharing agreement with both senior levels of government. Without this it will be virtually impossible to finance the needed repairs to our infrastructure as well as add the facilities and services that we must have to maintain an attractive standard of living. I believe that it’s time to get “back to basics” as our primary duty to the tax-paying citizens of Regina. Infrastructure is essential to all subsequent activities: we should concentrate our efforts on assuring that roads and streetscapes (including lighting and signage); parks, cultural and recreational facilities; public transit; city-operated vehicles and equipment; police and fire-fighting services; health, education and social programs are funded sufficiently and administered efficiently.
3. Imagine the Regina Of The Future that you want to help build. What will it look like?
The future Regina will have a more vibrant downtown area. More Clubs and restaurants, unique shops, apartments, etc. to make people WANT to come to and live in the City Centre.
4. Beyond immediate concerns like housing, the stadium and infrastructure renewal, what “big idea” project do you want to work on that nobody seems to be talking about?
Regina Transit and Paratransit must be improved to a more user friendly system. We need Light Rail Transit NOW! A LRT should be considered now, before it becomes unaffordable.
5. Name something the last council got right.
The revitalization of Evraz Place and the Co-operator’s Centre… upgraded on time AND on budget.
6. Now, point out their biggest mistake.
The City Square Plaza (12th Avenue). ‘Nuff said.
7. What are you reading these days?
Alan Moore’s Watchmen
8. Beyond your residence, do you own any property in Regina or in the immediate area?
* * * * *
1. What is your favourite Regina restaurant?
2. Who is your favourite Regina artist?
John MacFarlane, one of Saskatchewan’s finest watercolour artists.
3. What actor would play you in the gritty cable drama, Queen City Hall?
4. How would your character die?
I’d die on stage.
* * * * *
PICK A SIDE
Cats or Dogs? Dogs
Vampires or Werewolves? Vampires
Boxing or Roller Derby? Boxing
Steak or Sushi? Steak
Hill Towers or Legislative Building? Legislative Building
Quance Street or Dewdney Avenue? Quance Street
Artesian or Wascana Park Gazebo? Artesian
Prairie Dog or Richardson Ground Squirrel? Prairie Dog
Giant Grasshopper or Stegosaurus? Giant Grasshopper
Saskaboom or SaskAdvantage? SaskAdvantage
Bike or Sports Car? Sports Car
Le Macaron or Five Guys? Five Guys
The Beatles or the Rolling Stones? Beatles
* * * * *
BONUS QUESTION: Make up your own question (And answer it, of course!)
Mickey Mouse or Donald Duck?
* * * * *
Follow all of our online election coverage — including interviews, analysis and podcasts — and read other candidate profiles on our Regina City Election 2012 page.