1. HUUUUUGE WIN FOR FIRST NATIONS A British Columbia nation has won the title to 1,700 square kilometres of land in interior BC. More here. Here in Saskatchewan, FSIN Chief Perry Bellegarde responds to the unanimous Supreme Court decision. Incidentally, this follows on the heels of a Vancouver city council declaration that Vancouver is built on un-ceded indigenous land.
2. LET’S DUMP SEWAGE IN WASCANA
LAKE CREEK Ahhhh, baaaaaad!
3. PETER MACKAY’S WIFE DEFENDS PETER MACKAY’S SEXIST ATTITUDES In case you missed it, Canada’s minister is in trouble for sending Mother’s and Father’s Day cards that clearly indicate he sees men as leaders and women as mothers. Now, after being amusingly dragged into this mess yesterday, she’s come to MacKay’s defence.
Also, I don’t know why anyone is surprised by MacKay’s sexism debacle. This is the federal government that cancelled a national daycare program and has a diehard core of anti-choice politicians and supporters. It’s fair to say they have mixed feelings about women in the workforce.
Also: “anti-Conservative media”? That’s pretty fucking rich given the Harper government’s anti-media actions over the years.
4. IT’S NOT EXACTLY BREAKING NEWS, BUT The reason we had–HAD–a gun registry in this country is because men shoot women. The federal Conservatives killed the gun registry. They do NOT, as a group, value women’s equality. I’m always puzzled when women anywhere support this political party.
5. MEANWHILE IN WOMEN-HATING ‘MERICA That country’s conservative-dominated Supreme Court has ruled that the protest buffer zones that make it harder for so-called “Christian” busybodies to harass women going into abortion clinics are unconstitutional. More here. Ironically, the Supreme Court has a protest buffer zone of its own. Hopefully, that buffer zone will be invaded by tens of thousands of women in the near future.
6. WAL-MART GETS DINGED FOR UNION-BUSTING TACTICS Read all about it.
7. IN CASE YOU NEED ANOTHER REMINDER Regina’s civic leadership is firmly committed murdering a heritage building. What an embarrassment to this city.
8. MURDERER IS WRONG I’m so, so tired of Islamic extremists. Probably not nearly as tired as most Muslims.
9. THE U.S. IS FINALLY MOVING AWAY FROM USING ANTI-PERSONNEL LANDMINES an unexpected yet pleasing development!
10. FORMER SASKTEL EXECUTIVE CHARGED WITH FRAUD We’re talking about a hair over $2 grand for a cellphone, so to be honest, this sounds like the kind of thing that might be an honest mistake. Or maybe not. That’s why we have courts! Regardless, tsk tsk.
11. HEY, SHIA LaBEOUF WAS ARRESTED For smoking and being slappy.
VIDEO! Here’s the trailer for a fun-looking movie. You watch this now!