Does This Mean What I Think It Means?

Central Library bathroom

When I was out for a walk last night enjoying the gorgeous weather I stopped off at Central Library. I’m not sure how long the above-pictured item has been installed in the second floor washroom, but I assume it’s there for a reason. A sad and tragic reason — but such is life in inner-city Regina these days, I guess.

About Gregory Beatty

Greg Beatty is a crime-fighting shapeshifter who hatched from a mutagenic egg many decades ago. He likes sunny days, puppies and antique shoes. His favourite colour is not visible to your puny human eyes. He refuses to write a bio for this website and if that means Whitworth writes one for him, so be it.

9 Responses to Does This Mean What I Think It Means?

1. Amber June 25, 2013 at 11:38 am #

I don’t think this is anything in particular to worry about; just the reality of any urban centre. I’m more inclined to look at it as a practical component of any harm reduction initiative…I’d be more bothered if there weren’t any public sites with needle drop-off spots, otherwise, where would they go?

More on the clean needle exchange program in town: http://www.rqhealth.ca/programs/comm_hlth_services/pubhealth/pubhealth_dis.shtml

2. Barb Saylor June 25, 2013 at 11:47 am #

This installation at the Central Library is long overdue, in my opinion.

3. JM MacKinnon June 25, 2013 at 11:49 am #

It’s much better than finding a used needle in a park, alley-way or play-ground. I’ve spotted them in all three places in other cities, its good to see the city taking the initiative on this.

4. Mike June 25, 2013 at 2:29 pm #

“these days”? There have been people who need to safely dispose of needles for as long as you’ve been writing cutsey bios (or having them written for you).

5. citystevens June 25, 2013 at 8:47 pm #

If I’m not mistaken this has been in place for quite some time. I’m not sure it’s completely to do with the location though. They have them on campus in the Kinesiology building and at the airport, just as a safe drop off site. Either way it’s a good thing.

6. Rob June 25, 2013 at 10:13 pm #

SHARPS containers are also placed in public washrooms for use by diabetics and others who are using needles as part of their treatment ( as an example women doing fertility treatment would inject). Many of the containers you see were installed for this purpose, not for IV drug users.

In my office(not open to the public) we have them in all of the washrooms

7. cna state requirements June 25, 2013 at 10:21 pm #

I think this is one of the most important info for
    me. And i am glad reading your article. But should remark on few general
    things, The website style is wonderful, the articles is really nice : D.
    Good job, cheers

8. Vanda Schmockel June 26, 2013 at 7:50 am #

I’ve seen these before (in Regina and elsewhere), and I’m pretty sure it’s intended as a needle drop for diabetics. But a needle’s a needle, so…

9. citystevens June 26, 2013 at 10:15 pm #

That’s what I was getting at Rob, thanks for the clarification. Again, it’s a good thing either way.