The 42nd Regina Folk Festival got underway last night. Here is a list of notable observations:
1. Fred Penner successfully united generations with his cheerful, upbeat antics. Kudos for crawling through the log, Fred!
2. Montreal based Braids are fantastic. A highlight for sure.
3. The “Before I die I want to _______”wall is deadly. Great Idea!
4. No smoking area? Smokers want to see the stage too! I get why you shouldn’t smoke everywhere, but I saw at least a few suitably isolated locations. It’s an alienating policy begging to be disregarded. Besides, cigarette smokers provide cover for friendly pot smokers.
5. Somersaulting is more fun than you remember – especially in combination with beer.
6. Andrew Bird seems to have built a music career out of whistling. Clever fellow.
7. Etran Finatawa rocked the After Dark Carnival!
I heard a rumor of daytime beer gardens! Let’s get down!
Photo by Kim Jay