1. MONCKTON MAKES RUN FOR GOV’T: Lord Monckton, Third Viscount of Brenchley, has announced that he will be running for the UK Independent Party (UKIP) for a seat in the Scottish riding of Perth and North Perthshire. In case you’ve somehow missed reading or hearing about the potty peer, Lord Monckton, he’s one of the world’s best known climate change deniers and we’ve written about him quite a bit (here, here, here). He is also much beloved of the teabaggers in the States and appears to be a birther as well. And, if elected, it means he will no longer have to lie about being a member of the House of Lords. Here’s hoping the voters of Perth and North Perthshire have the sense to not let this happen. (Guardian.)
2. PLANES BRAVE EYJAFJALLAJOKULL PLUME: What a great name for a volcano. I could type that all day. Eyjafjallajokull. Aaaanyway. The ash cloud has cleared up a bit and limited flights have been cleared to navigate through it, thus freeing some international travellers from Limbo. Meteorologist warn things will get worse again though. (Globe and Mail).
3. UK’S LIB DEMS UP IN POLLS, NOT IN SEAT PROJECTIONS: Looks like the UK is getting a little of taste of Canadian-style electoral WTFitude. The Liberal Democrats have shot up in the polls after television debates but based on seat projections they can only win a tiny number of seats. Meanwhile, the Labour Party, which is trailing the Lib Dems and the Tories in polling, still look able to win the government. Sound familiar? (Boing Boing)
4. FRASER INSTITUTE COMPRISED OF OIL INDUSTRY BIG WIGS: Why is right-wing think tank the Fraser Institute always so supportive of the oil industry? Could it be because nine out of 47 members of its board of directors are oil industry executives? (Desmog Blog)
5.YEEEE-UUUUUUCKKKKK: Regina is seeing an increase in bed bug populations. Ick. Ick. Ick. (Leader Post)
6. RUTGER HAUER A HOBO: Ain’t It Cool News is reporting that a big screen adaptation of the awesome, Halifax-made Grindhouse trailer, Hobo With A Shotgun, is going ahead and Rutger Hauer will be stepping in to the titular hobo’s beaten-up shoes. It’s too bad that David Brunt, the hobo in the trailer, had to be replaced for this to get made because he seems just about perfect for the part to me. Still, it’s great to see some independent filmmakers from Canada hitting the big time. (AICN)
For those who never got to see Grindhouse in the theatres and thus might have missed this, here’s the trailer. And no, this is absolutely not safe for work. But it is, like I said, awesome….